Friday, August 26, 2011

Pure Ignorance

Did anyone catch Nightline the other night?  The guests were the Bates family from Tennessee.  They have 18 kids and are still working on more!  They're a wonderful family with great kids and they're (obviously) open to life!

At one point they were chatting about the mother, Kelly, having had a couple of recent miscarriages and how the doctor had put her on progesterone during her next pregnancy in the hopes of saving the baby. I was appalled and taken aback by the interviewer's next question.  She asked, "If you don't believe in birth control to avoid a pregnancy, why is it OK to take medicine to help a pregnancy along?"

Ok...my jaw dropped at this point.  I jumped my DVR backwards several times to make sure I heard it correctly.  Is this just complete ignorance by the liberal media or was she trying to get a point across?  I'm not sure if she truly could not see the difference here, or if she was trying to "educate" us right-wing religious freaks out here in the audience.  It almost seemed like she was looking for a "gotcha" moment.  Either way, it was not only insulting to Kelly, but it was an apples-to-oranges comparison!

Naturally, Kelly answered the question more than gracefully and explained that it's completely different to do something artificial to avoid creating a life, than it is to use means to sustain a life that already exists.  Brilliant!  And, might I add...DUH.

Anyone else happen to catch that?

10 comments:

  1. Did not catch that but I think you're the next Bates family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that too!! I had the same reaction as you. Ridiculous!! I made hubs change the channel. I couldn't believe that interviewer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What a question. That's like asking, "So, since you don't believe in birth control, you must not take antibiotics when you have an infection, right?" Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of infuriating media, I came across a fantastic Yahoo! article the other day on "fertility myths". The article made sure we understood that the Pill does NOT affect your fertility. Got that? Noooo worries, ladies (meanwhile, every other sentence was a contradiction of that statement).

    So glad we debunked all those myths and made sure the Pill, which doesn't have enough marketing already, was defended. Thanks, Media.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Beth. Hi Pot, I'm Kettle. You're black.

    Sarah - WHAT?!?! Do you happen to have that link? I'd love to read that nonsense. I'm not surprised I guess, but to blatantly declare that the Pill does not contribute to one of its own known side effects?!? What?!? No agenda there at all! Baffling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GO KELLY! woo hoo! I'm so glad she was able to respond gracefully :-D Take THAT liberal media people!!! haha.
    Happy Weekend dear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What? Yeah sure, because contraception is "medicine" after all, right? Um, no it's not medicine and it cures nothing! It merely "breaks" healthy fertility. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good grief!! Glad she was able to answer so well-I might have been dumb founded by the question and probably would have stumbled on my words! Some people...

    ReplyDelete
  9. "8 Real Fertility Facts You Need to Know"
    http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/8-real-fertility-facts-you-need-to-know-2527261/

    "The pill doesn't affect your fertility." (Last I checked, the Pill's sole purpose is to "affect" your fertility. Sheesh).

    ReplyDelete