Saturday, April 10, 2010

My black thumb

I'm SO excited! Hubby is building me two raised flower beds!! I tried to garden for the first time EVER last year and let's just say things didn't "grow" too well! I dug out my own little plot of land and tried tomatoes, peppers, and broccoli. I think I harvested two tiny peppers and a couple of tinier tomatoes. The broccoli pretty much died on impact. It was pathetic. People always ask me, "But didn't you grow up on a farm?" Yes. Yes I did. I grew up on a FARM...not a GARDEN. We had big, huge machines that planted, fertilized, and harvested. And I myself wasn't a big part of that process. So no...I don't know how to grow things. My dad, yes. If society ever collapsed, we'd move back to Indiana and survive just fine. But if we stayed here in Maryland, we'd be toast. And quick.

But THIS YEAR I'm optimistic! We plotted some land in the yard that gets the most sun and roped off the area. I think the biggest difference is going to be the soil. The natural soil in our yard is nasty, rocky, and clay-ey. I think that's a big part of my failure last year. So with a raised bed, we're going to dig out about 6 inches of dirt, lay some gravel, then Weed Free, compost, peet moss, then top soil and then start a-plantin! The boxes will be 3 ft. wide by 8 ft. long. I have TONS of seeds of all varieties. I'll keep you posted on how planting/growing progresses. Please keep your fingers crossed for me! In the meantime, I'll diary the building of the boxes.





2 comments:

  1. I once grew a garden when I was living in Salisbury MD. The soil was real sandy, but I had success with tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, beans, and basil. I would love to grow some fresh basil again. That stuff rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I grow herbs! I've had success with that the past couple years. And basil is one of my faves too!! I also do cilantro, rosemary, and thyme. And some lavendar near the front door for scent. Thx for reading!!

    ReplyDelete