Sunday, September 4, 2011

Santorum Interview

My husband sent me this interview with Rick Santorum by CNN's Piers Morgan. Unlike Christine O'Donnell, Santorum stayed on camera and answered the tough questions! What a concept for a politician!

My favorite line of his is when he's pressured by Morgan to basically recognize that "hey, sure you're Catholic and so am I, but times have changed" (I'm paraphrasing) regarding gay marriage. Santorum responds,
"I don't think -- Piers, I don't think the truth changes. I don't think right and wrong change based on different eras of time. Things are -- there are some truths that are in fact eternal and are truth and based on nature and nature's law. And that's what the church teaches and that's what the Bible teaches and that's what reason dictates." 
Can I just say, BRILLIANT!! Such a breath of fresh air to hear a politician talk about objective truths and not try to dance around them, or appease the masses with some sort of, "Well, I believe X, but I don't think the government should be involved..." baloney. (He does get into a little bit of "the government shouldn't be involved" stuff, but I think it's used in the appropriate context.)

This reminds me so much of what's been going on recently at Leila's and Stacy's blogs. Again...it's so nice to hear about objective morality from a politician! The one thing I didn't like about the interview is the fact that he makes abortion exceptions for life of the mother. Of course, we all know, it is never medically necessary to perform an abortion (enter principle of double effect). But he did give a brilliant answer in the Fox News debate on abortion in cases of rape and incest. When pressured by the moderator to cave on those tough cases, he responded brilliantly,
"That child is an innocent victim. To be victimized twice would be a horrible thing. It is an innocent human life, genetically human from the moment of conception. We in America should be big enough to try to surround ourselves and help women in those terrible situations who have been traumatized already. To put them through another trauma of an abortion, I think is too much to ask. So I would absolutely stand and say that one violence is enough."
Santorum also addresses Morgan's asinine question about abortion when Morgan implies that because Santorum had a child who died shortly after birth, and another one who is severely handicapped, that somehow now he would be more lenient on abortion rights.  Ummm..seriously?!?!?  Did Morgan really think Santorum would answer by saying, "Oh yeah, Piers, you're right actually.  I DO wish my handicapped daughter was dead!"

Will the media EVER get it????

I think he also addresses other issues like economics and foreign policy like a champ.  Even if you don't agree with his policies (which I do), you can tell he's extremely experienced and well-versed on the subjects (again...what a concept for a politician!).

I think the unfortunate case for Rick Santorum as a presidential candidate is that the majority of Americans doesn't like conservative Catholics.  The Biden/Pelosi variety??  Oh yeah...people LOVE them.  And why not?  They don't espouse an objective morality.  Their "Catholicism" is all about emotions and feeling good, moral relativity, and individual happiness.  Theirs is the "easy Catholicism."  Santorum's (the real kind) is about true fulfillment, doing the objectively right thing for God and country even if it means self-sacrifice, and finding happiness in God, not self.

I pray that more politicians stand up for faith, family, and values unabashedly, like Rick Santorum does.  And I pray that America listens.

5 comments:

  1. No, the media will NEVER get it! Can you imagine if Pelosi, Biden, et al. suddenly had reversion of faith and started speaking the truth?? It would be amazing!! But so few have the knowledge of the faith, the belief it it (dissenters just kill me… why do they bother?) or the courage to speak it. God bless Santorum for his courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! Thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with you! I love him! His answers in the last debate had me and DH clapping and screaming. Unfortunately he will never win b/c America is scared of the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TRUTH. People do not want this from their politicians.

    Little JoAnn

    ReplyDelete